Intrepid Mental Wellness, PLLC
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners located in Denver, CO
Depression affects men and women of all ages, which is why understanding signs and symptoms and asking for help early on are so important. If you’re struggling with depression, caring mental health practitioners at Intrepid Mental Wellness can help. By offering in-person visits at our welcoming Denver, Colorado practice, as well as flexible telemedicine sessions, you have plenty of options for getting the care you need. Book your initial evaluation by submitting a "contact us" inquiry or by calling the clinic.
Depression Q & A
Why do I have depression?
It isn’t always known what causes depression, although medical experts do notice some trends. Your depression could stem from:
- A family history of mental illness
- Imbalance in neurotransmitters
- Hormonal fluctuations
- Traumatic or stressful events
Depression can even develop if you have a chronic condition, such as cancer, heart disease, or fibromyalgia. Plus, in some cases, your prescription medications, including high blood pressure pills, can increase your risk of depression.
What are the symptoms of depression?
Depression is a mood disorder that leads to a persistent feeling of sadness, loneliness, or emptiness. It’s also common to lose interest in the things you enjoy and participate in on a daily basis, which can ultimately affect your work and family life. You might have depression if you:
- Have angry outbursts or are easily irritated
- Sleep too much or have insomnia
- Experience anxiety, agitation, or restlessness
- Find it difficult to concentrate or focus
- Notice unexplained weight gain or loss
- Experience suicidal thoughts or feelings
Depression is also often linked to fatigue and widespread body aches or headaches. In severe cases, depression can cause suicidal thoughts, which is why you shouldn’t wait another day to get treatment.
How is depression treated?
Our psychiatric nurse practitioners screen for medical conditions that may be contributing to your symptoms of depression and can order lab tests as needed. Once your provider better understands your specific diagnosis, your depression treatment can include:
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
- Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)
- Atypical or tricyclic antidepressants
- Anti-anxiety or stimulant medications
- Mood stabilizers
- Lab testing for nutritional deficiencies and genetic variations
- Based on lab results, natural supplements can be used to treat the underlying cause of depression symptoms
Because there isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution for depression, we stay in touch with you to see how you’re progressing. Each patient responds differently to medications, so your provider might need to make changes to your dosage or even change your medication throughout your treatment plan. Rest assured, our psychiatric nurse practitioners work diligently to ensure you’re getting the care you need to improve your mental wellness.
Don’t allow your depression to hinder your day-to-day life. Asking for help and booking an appointment at Intrepid Mental Wellness is the first step to overcoming depression. Schedule either by submitting a "contact us" inquiry or by calling the clinic.